since getting rid of our car (although we knew it was coming) we have gotten used to public transportation and such, but I find myself missing the days of summer and fall when I would bike to work. It was not only a way to keep in shape (part of what I miss) but a great way to see the city and see on a people level, unlike when you ride in a car all the time. I find that I feel more of a part of a place when I'm on bike level, and not contained in a hurling capsule. all of this to say that I am seriously lusting after some custom bikes. as you read in the fall, I thought I had found my true love in a bike. Although the jorg + olif still wins in the 'bang for your buck' category, I have found one (or two) that I would love to get if I knew I was permanently replacing a car:

(above: bike two under commuter bikes by vanilla bicycles, closely
resembling the jorg + olif...)
(below: bike four under commuter bicycles by vanilla )
this one was made to carry all my groceries!
unfortunately, these both start at $2800 and up. but I have to say, they are custom to the 't'. Vanilla (here in Portland, and locally made) contacts you about custom fit, technical parts, and aesthetic concerns, and prefers to meet in person! Despite the chunk of change, lots of love goes into these beauties. Check out their site for process, etc.And for me, I will be wishing still....
1 comment:
my nephew turned me on to them and he has one of those bikes. totally not just pure vanilla!
gorgeous design and make.
Post a Comment